Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Review: Bitten by M. Black


Bitten by M. Black
Bitten by Lust, Book 1

SYNOPSIS

WARNING: If you don't enjoy hot sex with fantastical elements, sexy shirtless vampires, and beautiful women, then this story isn't for you. 


If you're under 18, get outta here! This story is definitely for readers 18+ 



Eve Mallory is a stuck up prude with a dead end newspaper job. But when her boss offers her a chance to write a story about the hottest sex club in town her whole world changes. 



Eve thinks she’s just at Red to get the scoop, she never expects to be brought into the elite circle of Vampires who are wealthy, beautiful, and hungry. Possibly for her blood. 



And then there's Derek, with his piercing blue eyes, incredible build, and smug understanding of Eve. Why does he know so much about her? And what is it about his touch that makes her tremble?



MY REVIEW

*3 STARS*

*I was given an ARC from Netgalley for my honest opinion.*


I don't like leaving negative reviews (or mildly negative) so I'm going to try and write this as respectively and constructively as I can. Bitten isn't a terrible book, however I did have a few qualms with it.



I understand the novella series craze lately, but there is a right way and a wrong way of ending a novella with a cliffhanger. Bitten ends very abruptly. So much so that I had to do a double take and go back and reread the last paragraph to make sure that I hadn't missed something. There is a way to "wrap up" a novella even when it has a cliffhanger that leaves the reader with a small sense of closure. After I finished reading Bitten I just sat there like well...okay. What the hell do I do now? 



My other issues with Bitten are 



1) the inconsistency of how the lead male's name is spelled. Is it Derek or Derrick? It was sort of distracting to have it jump back and forth between the two spellings. Now, as far as I know, my copy isn't "ready for print" so I'm assuming that more edits have been planned. 



2) The sex scenes. *Mild spoiler* Nothing sexual happened to the main character, and because of that the steamy scenes were 'told' to the reader rather than shown. I didn't feel like I got the full effect of the steaminess because it was like I was hearing from a friend of a friend, if that makes sense. 



NOW...that being said. I am interested enough in the story to want to know what happens next. It kept my attention and I read it in one sitting. That is why I rated it 3 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment